A Not-So-Subtle Request from My Toby

I mentioned the other day that I might make Halloween tamales. They are time-consuming, but I like doing it. It just is not a process that can be rushed. You have to plan to spend a day on it. I'd love to do so. This weekend may be my last to do some for Halloween and we're planning another low-key weekend because sickness is still in our house and looks like it will be for the second weekend in a row. Sigh. My poor kiddos. Hopefully, all will be on the mend soon. 

As if to help me along in my discernment and planning, my beloved texted this to me yesterday. 



It is a Texas thing, but Toby is very much an assimilated Cajun in Texas. What Toby wants, Toby gets. I'm on it. I've also been wanting to develop a "fast friendly" tamale. I thought crab and corn might be a good combo and use some seafood stock instead of the pork or beef stock I usually use that comes from roasting the meats. My priest has requested that I make him some vegan tamales, so I may play with that as well and make a few. More on that very soon. 

I think I'll actually try to do a complete step-by-step description with photos. But making tamales can be messy. Perhaps Toby will help me out in that department. He took a few pics last Christmas when I was making Christmas tamales. 



I am thinking also that I will make a chile con carne to accompany it or maybe a borracho bean soup. A pumpkin dessert might be in order; I do have a sugar pie pumpkin I need to roast and use. But something with lovely fall spices. I'll get it all figured out. 

We've got a cold front coming in tomorrow night / Friday morning and I'm very excited. It will be fun to get in my kitchen and play a bit. But only after a nice morning walk. I also still have a blog post or two to complete - including my fun side trip when I was in Pennsylvania last week. More to come on KB2!

Are you already thinking about your weekend plans? What are they?

Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts