My Birthday, 2019

My card from my sweet kiddos. I loved the artwork on and in it. 
Toby's card to me full of beautiful words and feelings. Each year our love, respect, admiration, and appreciation for each other grows. 

Yes, today was my birthday. I have a lovely day! I worked some, ran an errand or two, mothered a sick little one, and made my own birthday dinner and cake (since we are quarantined as much as possible due to the illness of said little one). That was just fine by me. I received some very lovely, heart-felt cards and gifts, posts on social media, and was very happy with my day. Rather than write a lot about it, I'll let the pics speak for themselves. 

I awoke to a beautifully wrapped box full of gifts and this lovely card from my Toby. It is an embroidered card! He knows how much I love embroidered things and flowers. It was a perfect card. I have a whole collection of intricate, detailed, lovely cards from him for all kinds of occasions. In the large beautifully, professionally wrapped box from Nordstrom's (I really hated to "mess it up") were a set of accessories for our adventures out and in: cream colored gloves, a hat, and a gorgeous, soft cashmere scarf. Toby knows I love scarves and cashmere, but I did not have one in that color. It matches the hat and gloves, which he thought I needed for our early morning walks now that the weather is getting colder. They are so pretty. He is the best gift buyer. 

I wore my scarf today.

It was chilly this morning and our house is actually quite drafty, so I frequently use scarves or pashminas around the house even. I think they are cozy. They are like wearing a hug. My green quartz/mother of pearl-looking pendant is actually a James Avery piece he bought me for our anniversary this year, our 22nd. It is a Sculpted Tree of Life and actually happens to have 5 apples in it. We are a family of 5 (at least on earth; we have Baby Sierra in Heaven). I love cream, white, green, and blues. They are so soothing. (But I love earth tones, too.)

Later our friend came by and hand delivered some gifts to me and actually for little Anthony as well. 

An icon on a birthday card of St. Nicholas of Myra & Nicea, my Orthodox Baptismal Patron. My Orthodox name is Nikola, a feminized (and Polish) version of Nicholas. He is known as the slapper of heretics and is venerated in both the Orthodox and Catholic churches. When I was a Catholic, it became a thing between my Catholic friends and me when I was doing my own battle with heretic bishops over a euthanasia law in Texas that the Texas Catholic Bishops support. Long story. See Kassiblog for the full details. The person who gave me this beautiful card is someone we hold in high regard and knows very well those details. He wrote words to that effect in it and I was greatly moved. 

Our friend also brought me that lovely Sacred Heart of Jesus religious icon, two religious carved beeswax candles which are actually for Anthony, and a handpicked pink rose from his garden. We are blessed to have some truly devoted friends. He delivered this to my door this afternoon. 

Toby posted some lovely public sentiments as well on Facebook and his own wonderful Tobyblog

Yes, it's true. Last year we were in Hawaii at this time. I've been wanting to do a big post about that trip, but have not had the time to give to it yet. But I am fine not being in Hawaii as I told him. I'm happy being with him and my family. 

Toby came home with an assortment of flowers. We are in the process of transitioning from fall to Advent here. For me, Advent is not about decorating for Christmas early but something in between. I have chosen in the last few years to use a great deal of greenery and white. Somehow to me that works. Later we'll add in more red and other overt Christmas things. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have more and better pictures of our Advent decorations. But here is what I have so far.

Toby said that he bought these even though they were past their prime because they smelled so heavenly. And, they do! They are some version of heirloom roses that are the most fragrant I've ever smelled. We have lost a great deal by straying away from heirloom plants and flowers. As soon as I cut them and put them in my favorite antique green vase, they opened very wide. I fear they will not make it through the weekend, but I will love them while I have them. 

Some simple white flowers and green filler. I like them. 

This week's arrangements for my desk. In addition to Verdie, who is doing great, we have my pink rose from my friend and a smaller arrangement of the white flowers and green filler in my dragonfly vase that Toby bought me at an antique shop last year. It has a very narrow opening despite being very round, so it can be hard to find the right flowers that work in it. These were perfect. 

A glimpse of my other arrangement with seem freesia and another tall white flower I can't recall the name of at the moment. You see my birthday cake - my Grandmother's Cherry Spice Cake - before I glazed it and some champagne my dearest brought home. I'm going to share that recipe with you below. 

Toby also brought the star of our dinner - Canadian lobster tails! I broiled them with melted butter, fresh garlic, lemon juice, and salt. They were excellent. (We had gluten free vegetable egg rolls as well which are not shown.)



Crab fried rice. I used a frozen hibachi fried rice and added canned crab. It was wonderful with the lobster. 

Asian style sautéed veggies. I used onion, garlic celery, carrot, mushrooms, zucchini, and cabbage seasoned with salt, pepper, a bit of gluten free soy sauce, and a bit of gluten free Teriyaki. We thought it was quite nice.

My glazed and decorated Cherry Spice Cake. It converted to gluten free beautifully. I make it every Christmas for my father's birthday which is a few days before as it is his favorite cake. But this year, this is what sounded good to me for my own birthday. 

This is my Grandmother's recipe. I use a gluten free AP flour that is a cup-for-cup substitute for wheat flour. This makes a very moist, well-spiced, and pretty cake. I do use the artificially colored maraschino cherries. They just have the familiar flavor and color I wanted. I used Mexican Vanilla, a Vietnamese Cinnamon, and very good spices from Penzey's and Whole Foods. I use an unsweetened applesauce. I did not have buttermilk, so I used regular milk and added about half a lemon to curdle it. It works perfectly well. Love that "Bake at 350° til done." Yes, that's how experienced bakers do. I found that it took about 50 minutes. I checked it at 40 and 45 min. Let cool a bit in your bundt pan, then invert and cool completely before glazing. I was telling Toby's cousin tonight that I hand wrote that recipe out probably 22 years ago, shortly after Toby and I married. As you age, you start to appreciate the things you've kept all these years that mean something to you. 

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the celebration of my birthday actually began Thanksgiving weekend (which I not only never got around to blogging about, I totally forgot to photograph anything about it - I was too busy entertaining and experiencing it!). My parents and grandfather were here and left a beautiful card with such moving sentiments and kind, thoughtful gifts. 

Our dear friend, Maggie, also spent Thanksgiving Day with us. After Divine Liturgy last Sunday she presented me with an autographed copy of her latest book. She is an author! I was very grateful. It is wonderful to be around creative, accomplished people. I adore Maggie.

You can get your own copy of it on Amazon. I am eager to read it. 

I love having books that are autographed and knowing the authors a bit. I have a few now in those categories. 

Even my sweet friends at Texas Right to Life wished me a happy birthday and prayed for me.



The firm I work with the most sent a nice card from everyone as well.

I suppose I should attempt some profound reflection here, but I have none. I am grateful for every moment and every year. I'm grateful to be where I am now after some difficulties and growing pains in the aftermath of healing and learning. I'm grateful for my sweet, loving husband, our beautiful children, and our friends and faith. I'm grateful for my career, being able to homeschool, and being able to do a bit to further the pro-life movement. It is a good place to be. I expect 2020 will be a fantastic year as well with many milestones reached. 

Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts