Green Anole Lizards at Our Bird Feeder

Anole Lizards are just a treat to watch and my favorite shade of green. He...and maybe a she...and maybe more than one or two, frequented our bird feeder this summer a great deal and even into the fall. They would eat both the birdseed and the insects that would show up around the birdseed bird feeder and the Hummingbird feeder. When birds came, they'd quietly and stealthily go where they could not be seen. I was surprised by how long they'd stay at each visit and how often they'd come.  

They were fun to watch and kept to a schedule for a while that would then change. Then they disappeared (before the cold set in even). I fear that the increasing population of neighborhood stray cats feasted on them, to be honest. I actually saw cats perched on our outside window sill many mornings that would lunge at my feeders. The local population of coyotes has increased as well - no doubt this is a related phenomenon. We're rooting for the coyotes. 

At any rate, I caught a few terrible pics and better videos. But Toby's pics are the ones you should really see here, here, and here he got a Hummingbird in action (!). 

Here are my videos from May 27, 2020: 




Here are the pics from the same date:


We also had a butterfly or two that would drink from the Hummingbird Feeder as well.




I got some better pics on October 15, 2020, and this much better video. Do you see the birdseed hanging from the side of his mouth?











I hope we have a new population - or some survivors - return next spring! 

Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts