Banana Nut Muffins

Tonight we had leftover tacos with a Spanish Rice mix I like, along with baked refried beans topped with cheddar and smoked gouda cheese, guacamole, and salsa.

For dessert I made gluten free Banana Nut Muffins which I based on this recipe from King Arthur.



It's a great recipe but I never use their GF AP flour. It tastes salty to me. I normally use Authentic Foods Classical Blend as my go-to GF AP flour, but I'm out. (The cookbook from whence it comes, Gluten-Free Baking Classics, is still my absolute favorite and produces pretty much flawless gluten free baked goods that are indistinguishable from their gluteny counterparts.) 

Tonight I used Authentic Foods Steve's GF Cake Flour instead and I'm glad I did. It produced a lighter muffin. Other alterations I made were:


  • Omit the cinnamon and add 1 tablespoon of Penzey's Mexican Vanilla
  • I used only a little more than 1/3 cup of brown sugar and used several tablespoons of raw sugar which did not equal 2/3 cup of sugar as the recipe calls for. I generally use less sugar than what is called for. 
  • I found that 3 bananas were necessary to get 1.5 cups of mashed banana and probably went a bit over that. It was fine. 
  • I also added about a tablespoon of rum. I often add about that much of a banana liqueur but we were out. 
  • Finally, I used pecans instead of walnuts because that's what I had and I prefer that to the walnuts for this and I topped each with just a dash of raw sugar for some crunch and a bit of shine. 


They were outstandingly good and they are just about gone already!

Thanks for reading! 


Comments

Popular Posts