Morning Walk with Toby on the DORBA Bike Trails

Toby and I like to get out and walk on Saturday mornings when we can. Given our late night last night, we didn't get up at the crack of dawn, but we still got out there. Today he wanted to go on the DORBA Bike Trails near our house. I've only been on them twice before, but have been eager to explore them with Toby who's been on them many, many times and knows them well. 

With all the rain we've had in the DFW area this spring, it has been impossible to get out on them due to flooding and muddy conditions that persist quite a bit longer than you'd think given the heat in between. They are still closed to bike traffic, but we set out on foot. We were unprepared for - or didn't think about - the fact that with them being closed to bike traffic, they'd not be maintained either. We like the woods and set out in there, but the paths were quite overgrown. I'm extremely allergic to poison oak and ivy and there were many, thick patches of "leaves of three" that I worked very hard to "leave them be." 

Here are a few pics I took of my own and some of Toby taking pics. He's posted his own blog of this morning as well. You can see the more professional version of these there. 

There was quite a variety of terrain. Also, it was interesting how we had a bit of climatic difference. In the open areas, it was quite windy and sunny. In the deep woods, it was still, humid, and the hungry mosquitos had quite the feast. This will be a much better walk in the fall and winter.

These are posted roughly in order of our trek and when they were taken. There was quite the crop of Firewheels there this year - as there was everywhere, which we were surprised to learn once we were able to get out. Initially, we thought it had been a bust this year. We've been pleasantly surprised that that was not the case at all. 




It's super dry in one place, only to be wet, muddy, and even mossy in the very next. Texas is like that.

Here's some both cracked, dry dirt and the mossy remains of mud.


See the pretty little winecup flower there? I love those.
Here's a better shot of one.

Then I looked over to my left, and there was the largest number of them I've ever seen. Usually, it seems, there are just a few mixed in with other wildflowers.

I zoomed in a bit so you could see the gorgeous color. 

Not even 1/2 a mile later, we were here. In the woods with a bit of swampiness. I do love the swamp actually. It's so different than where I grew up in South Texas along the Mexican border. That's brush country. In fact, I ended up attending the University of Southwestern Louisiana (as it was called then), in part, because I was in awe of the swamp there. They built the campus around it. I visited one day after a shower (which is pretty much every day in La.). We were going through some a dark foyer and some double doors from the Student Union, then opened them up and BAM! There was this awe-inspiring bright green, lush area of water, trees, and alligators. Not only did the school have the only Political Science degree within driving distance of where my parents would be moving soon (and I could live at home and save money), it had a swamp! I was hooked. I walked into the Administration Department, they admitted me on the spot, waived my out of state tuition, put me in the honors program, and it was done. It was Providential. In two months I'd meet the man of my dreams. Two and a half years later, we'd marry. But I digress a bit.... I love swampy areas. 

I'm not sure what the cement structure is, but it appeared randomly as we traipsed through the woods. This was a dryer area. 

Here's another shot of it.

There has been significant flooding in this area in the last few years. You can see quite the collection of debris. 




This was the path we entered looking behind us as we journeyed onward. I liked the contrast of the dark woods where we were and the lighter entry which was a grassy prairie. 

This one shows the contrast a bit better.

I love the sound of Cottonwood trees. They remind me of my paternal grandmother's house. She had two very large ones in her front yard. Of course, I knew that they drop these cotton like things everywhere in the spring, but I had never noticed the star-like pod they come from. These pods were everywhere. Only after I stopped to photograph this after Toby was, did I noticed the neat yellow cottonwood leaf there. It's summer, but I like the little reminders of fall that appear from time to time. 

Here you can really see the swamp and debris.

Here's my beloved leading the way.

Though by now we were beating a hasty retreat given the overgrown paths, poison oak, and voraciously hungry mosquitos, I liked this dead tree. Trees are one of the things I like to photograph. 
That was our Saturday morning. When we got home, Toby made us a lovely bunch of what we call "Gordon Ramsay eggs" over toast with cream cheese and smoked salmon with special brunch cocktails. It was delicious. 

Today we will attend Vigil to prepare for Pentecost tomorrow. It's a very special part of the religious year in Orthodoxy and caps off Pascha. It's also Father's Day. I'm looking forward to celebrating my Toby who is a most excellent father to our sweet children. 

Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts