When You Didn't Get a Weekend...Etc.


My beloved and my flowers from nearly two weeks ago. They were particularly long-lasting sunflowers. Although they've seen better days, they are still here and are not dead yet. I was very impressed. Toby surprised me with even more to fill out my initial arrangement. They really seem to capture late summer / early fall. 

Happy Monday! Unlike last Monday, where I was feeling fallish and domestic, this Monday I'm mostly just tired. I worked all weekend - primarily on an important brief, but I also got our school year planned and materials organized. Toby and I worked very late into the night Friday getting the office / school room re-organized and cleaned. Out with the old, in with the new - all of which was organized and cleaned. We've been doing a great deal of that of late. Some do spring cleaning; we do fall cleaning. 

Today, The Marks Academy is open for business for this academic year and the kids' (only Lucy and Anthony this year as Augie graduated; that feels weird to us all) classes at Thinking Reeds began. THEO began last week, where Lucy is taking one Writing class. This is the latest start we've ever had. In years past we've started as early as mid-July which gives an abundance of flex days during the year and other days - and even weeks - off. More recently, we've started by early to mid-August. But this year, for a variety of reasons, we started later and we'll likely school into June. That's OK as well. We used to do more year-round schooling which allowed more breaks during the school year and for us not to fall behind when illness or other activities came into play. 

Anthony is in first grade. It has been many, many years since I taught at this level. It's more hands on than I have to be with older, middle and high school kids who take more classes away and can be more self-directed. I'm trying an entirely new elementary curriculum called Bookshark that I'd never heard of before and found by google search. I like it. It's very book-oriented and Anthony has a number of lovely books now, all fresh, bright, and cheerful looking waiting for he and I to read. Anthony is excited because he'll have Science in two ways - here and at Thinking Reeds. I also purchased the Art elective and some other things for him. I got Lucy the middle school / junior high Art program as well from Bookshark.

Lucy, who is in eighth grade this year, is taking most classes away from home this year, except for History, Literature, and Art. We'll use Notgrass for that. I've used it for years for middle and high school History and Literature. It's a very solid program. They are not from Texas which is unfortunate. There is a dearth of Texas History courses for the homeschooled. It's hard to believe actually. I found one for Lucy, but it was like a very long powerpoint program that took us through the year. It got the job done, but I'd have much preferred a textbook and program of the quality of Notgrass. 

And, my road warrior status begins again. I go back and forth to Plano this year up to eight times just Monday-Wednedsay for classes for them. We go from schooling here to taking someone to class to being back home for a bit, maybe to get in a lesson or two, maybe I can make a phone call or two or send an email for work, then we head out again. I'm finding my way around our new school year and work. So far, the kiddos are doing pretty well. 

I was already looking forward to Labor Day weekend, as I always do, but I really am now after having no weekend. I particularly like it because it's a laid back three-day weekend which you can structure however you want. No gifts to buy or particular decorating or menu. I like those things in some contexts, but since this comes at the beginning of the school year when things are busy, it's nice to have that downtime. I plan to take some. 

One thing we will certainly do is start to decorate for fall as Sunday is the beginning of Meteorological Fall, as I mentioned in my last post. That's another thing I like about Labor Day - for us it's a combination of good-bye summer and hello fall. 

I haven't baked in a while. For what seemed like many years, I baked something nearly every weekend. Toby has requested a sweet potato pie. I have a gluten free homemade crust I make and can certainly accommodate that. I've asked that he BBQ for us, something we've had too little of as well this summer. The Dormition Fast will (finally...it's been particularly tough for some reason and we've not really been 100% compliant, but compliant enough to feel it, so I guess that's something) be over and we have some red meat to consume, among other things. 

We also both have some blogging to catch up on from our Family Vacation. I got some neat pics of my own and I know Toby's been working up a storm on his pics. Hopefully, I'll also manage to read some more of my latest John Muir book - My First Summer in the Sierra - which is in this well-bound compilation. 

I was telling Toby we need to do some geocaching during the holiday weekend as well and kick that off again. He posted today that this summer seemed to pass fast, in part, he thinks, because we didn't spend much time outdoors. That's true. We traveled a good bit and both of us have had very busy work schedules and when those busy work times settle down, there is invariably domestic duties to catch up on. Often my work slows down in the summer, but not this year. That's a mixed blessing, as you might imagine. I think we'll try to make every effort to get in that last bit of summertime this weekend and get out in the heat and walk, geocache, and maybe we'll even get a little bit of yard work in. Maybe on that last one, but that will be coming up soon as well. 

I really, really hope that we are able to have more time in nature to walk, geocache, and just take in the season this fall. So often, I feel like it passes and I've missed it. That was especially true when the kids were busy with speech and debate tournaments nearly every weekend. That phase has passed and as much as I enjoyed it at the time, I've gotten my weekends back with my entire family and my Toby. I hope the weather cooperates. We've not had a spectacular fall since 2013. I'd love one this year.

I hope everyone has a peaceful, relaxing, fun Labor Day Weekend...and gets through the rest of this week as well.  

Thanks for reading! 






Comments

Popular Posts