Date Night Photography: NorthPark Mall



Things have been super busy for me, as I mentioned. But when some deadlines seemed to be resolving themselves and I found I had a little more time, Toby and I took advantage of this welcome reprieve to get in a date night. I didn't want to be out too late, so we decided upon dinner at our favorite Seasons 52 and a stroll around NorthPark Mall, also a great favorite of ours. 

I'm still such a bad blogger. I literally forgot to take pics of my meal. Trust me - it was pretty and it was delicious. So was Toby's. Seasons 52 was saying goodbye to its Autumn Menu, so we wanted to enjoy a few items on it. We'll have to return soon for the Winter Menu. I'm a much better date. We had a lovely, leisurely dinner together and talked about a great many things. Monday night dates are nice because the crowds are scarce. You don't feel like you need to be mindful of time and clear the table so they can seat others.

Afterward, we walked around the mall to take in the Christmas decorations. Although we very much believe in taking our time getting ready for Christmas and leaving plenty of time to enjoy Thanksgiving, giving it its due, we do love seeing the changes made to the decorations. NorthPark is an old school mall. There is still plenty of real greenery there and they take extra special care to create a vibrant, beautiful atmosphere. The attention to detail in the Christmas decorations really captivated me. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.


From the moment you walk through the doors, you are greeted with a subtle Christmas theme through the red, white, and green living arrangements. I love that they stuck with traditional Christmas colors this year. 


I love using plants to decorate and this really fits the bill, doesn't it? 

I really loved using these potted plants in an elaborate stand to make a Christmas tree. Just the right amount of green and red. Note the moving statues. NorthPark has art sprinkled throughout it. 

❤️


The poinsettias act as a living tree skirt. Just beautiful. 


I really loved this. I like the contrast of the pops of red with the more subtle, woodsy feel of the large pinecones and almost frosted plants there. I think they are a cactus of some sort. I really wish they were labeled. 

This was maybe my favorite part. I love the seemingly old-fashioned vibrant blue tiled pools with the outline of red and green. The ducks and turtles are fun to watch. They are so active and oblivious to people. The ducks remind me of seeing the Peabody Ducks many, many years ago as a child. 

Great place to put Santa and the reindeer. 

Some close-ups. There were three ducks and five turtles. 

I love stone features with water features. Isn't the color here just lovely? 

The ducks were really just swimming away. It was fun to watch them.

There is just so much to see and appreciate here. Beauty for beauty's sake is highly undervalued in modern society. I was telling Toby just last night that the focus is on utilitarianism and business. But what about just beauty? It has value, intangible, yet really invaluable.

I always love the small trees at Christmas time; not just evergreens, but rosemary and lemon balm trees are among my favorites. 




There were actually two turtles under that ledge. What a neat little place for them. 


The sound of that fountain is nice. Some don't make enough sound. A trickle won't do. You need more powerful water.


❤️



Another beautiful set of arrangements with the ever-present water tower art.



I loved the sawed up pieces of Aspen, but Toby was upset that some Aspens were sacrificed. I think it's neat that I've seen them in so many contexts this year. 


It seems like we almost always have a picture of us taking pictures of each other when we're out. 




Lego Santa!

180 hours!
Such detail.
Such a sweet old fashioned theme here. I loved it! The gingerbread/candy houses are just classic. 


Growing up we had ornaments similar to these in style. They were my great-grandmother's. 



Another beautiful, unique set of living arrangements. The Amaryllis will be interesting to watch develop over time. We'll have to make it a point to find them next time we're there. 

I love the unique combination of a flowering bulb plant, cactus, and small pinecones. There is a lovely combination of contrasting colors and textures. 
Some cacti had more fuzzy needles than others making for another neat effect.

This was great - I loved the frosted pinecones with the natural ones over moss (I do so love moss!) and the cactus that is taller. 


This is neat stuff. I thought it was a mother-in-law plant and initially wondered if the tips could be real. I touched them and there was no way. Apparently doing this to a Snake Plant with velvet paint is a thing.



Naturally, I was drawn in by the moss.


There are often displays of art at NorthPark by kids from local schools. This collage of offerings mostly had worldly themes; one was a bit new agey. Then you have this one. A young boy, in khakis, a baseball cap, and messenger bag staring out at the mountains. Wow. A young John Muir fan? I found myself wondering what that painting meant to the person who painted it. Was it sort of autobiographical? Does this kid feel they aren't really fitting in with modern society? With these simpler interests, what is it like?  

There are interesting things to see even outside. 

More of those interesting velvet paint tipped Snake Plants with very large cacti. 




Then there are a series of large houses in the style of a larger than life European Christmas Village.




Here they have a puppet show from time to time. I remember taking Augie and Lucy there when they were like 6 and 2. Many, many years ago. 


More interesting pieces with Aspen rings. 



You can never go wrong with classic Christmas trees with lots of white lights. 


 It was a very nice evening and start to our week.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts