Having A Plant On Your Office Desk Helps Reduce Daily Stress, Study Finds

My little desk fern who I call, Verdie. She's doing great. This was taken tonight. 

I did not have to read a study to know this. But I guess the scientific confirmation is good. In sum, the study found as follows:

Researchers separated participating employees’ interactions with their plants into two categories, active (caring for their desk plant, intentionally looking at / interacting with it whenever they felt stressed) and passive (simply having the plant near their computer monitor throughout the work day). The authors found that just the sight of a plant alone has the power to help soothe an employee. 
As far as which plants were placed on employees’ desks, each participant had a choice of six different options: san pedro cactus, foliage plants, kokedama, echeveria, air plants, or bonsai plants. 
All in all, employees’ anxiety levels dropped considerably after the plants were introduced into the office. These findings held true across all age groups and it didn’t seem to matter which type the employees had on their desk.

This goes along with other studies showing how nature helps our health both physically and mentally. I've blogged about this here and here. Back in August, I purchased a fern that always sits on my desk, which you see above. Sometimes she sits alone; sometimes with the weekly floral arrangements. So far, I've kept her alive and healthy. 

I have other plants throughout the house. More now than I've had in some time. They do make me smile - involuntarily - when I look at them. Nature has that effect on us. 

So, go get yourself a simple little plant and put it on your desk! See what wonders that will do. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts