A New Study Telling Us What We Already Know: Nature Is Healthy & Healing!


Yet another study finds that nature is good for us, if you need studies to tell you that. I don't, but I can see how so many in the modern world need reminders and would benefit from that sort of affirmation. I think sometimes people may feel guilty or like they're not being productive if they take off into the woods. Maybe they feel they don't have the time to spare. But maybe what we're all really doing is wasting time and shortening our time. Maybe this is just as important as working out in the gym. Maybe this should replace that to some degree (or entirely). 

A while back I read an article entitled, "Is Two Hours Outdoors the New 10,000 Steps?" I liked it, for obvious reasons. Now, I'm all about the 10,000 steps since Toby bought us FitBits for Christmas (a surprisingly effective overall program that I didn't realize was part of it, by the way, which maybe I'll be able to write about at some point). But I also like to be outside as much as possible when I'm getting those steps in. We need to be out in it and really take it all in. It turns out, that simply being outside is really healthy. 

Today's article noted that the sounds of nature can have a tremendous benefit to our health from decreasing pain to lowering stress and improving overall mental health. Who doesn't need that? 

The timing of this specific article is Providential. Just yesterday evening, Toby, the boys, and I took a walk at one of our local parks, Breckinridge Park, in Richardson. Toby and I missed the peak of the wildflowers here last spring somehow. I suspect it was because of rain, but I forget. 2020 was crazy, am I right?  This year, we've made it a point to try not to do that. But this time, we were a bit early, perhaps due to the late season Icemageddon and cooler than usual spring so far. Nevertheless, it looks like it might be a very good year once it gets going. While the wildflowers weren't much yet, I was able to catch some nature sounds that are exactly what the article talks about. 

Along the way back, I heard a Cardinal. Every time I hear birds singing, I challenge myself to try to find them. It always surprises me how difficult this is! This time, however, he was right in full view. 



Now, this pushed my zoom quite beyond its limits, but it's more about appreciating the songs this little guy and his unseen, but responsive, friends were providing for us. 

In the first half of this walk, Augie noticed a bunny family sitting just beside the sidewalk munching on spring greens in the shade. They were not the least bit skittish and as calm and serene as you can imagine. 



That was quite a treat. We are eagerly anticipating Pascha (Orthodox Easter) which is not until May 2. It is very late this year compared to Western Christianity. (I purchased what we needed ahead of time, except for tulips, of course.)

Here are a few shots I caught of the flowers. The light was still a bit harsh as the sun was still pretty high given Daylight Saving Time. But I was pleased with these.









And, here are a few pics I took of the Mallard ducks that live in the ponds there who were, like the bunnies, really taking in the true meaning of a restful Sunday. 





Finally, I got a couple of shots of some trees just beginning to leaf out against the bright blue sky. I seem not to tire of taking pics like that during the spring. I like the contrast of colors. 




So, that was part of our Sunday afternoon. More to come as it was Toby's Birthday! 


Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular Posts