Coronavirus 2020: Preparing, Sheltering in Place, Nature, & Maintaining Normalcy through Traditions

So, here we are in the midst of a pandemic. COVID-19. Coronavirus. Lord help us. And I really mean that. In a later post, I'm going to share some resources and encouragement that our priest has sent out for us and what our church is doing in the midst of this very serious situation. But in this post, I want to share scenes of our efforts to prepare for a two-week shutdown, what it was like shopping last Friday when the reality of the situation was beginning to set in, observations, how we're managing, scenes from nature that I hope bring you comfort and calm, and how we're trying to maintain some normalcy by embracing some traditions here. 

Preparing

I went out last Friday to buy our normal weekly (or so) groceries (we almost always have to get something supplemental, but I was trying to minimize this). We were already being asked to limit our going out, so we did need some supplies. I knew it would be wild. I was wishing I'd been able to do this earlier in the week. It was also raining and I hate to get groceries in the rain. I had hoped others would yield to that dislike as well. They did not. As I hit Stop Number 1 of 4, Target, President Trump was addressing the nation and I was listening as I shopped. His attitude was no longer dismissive. It was getting real. 

(Let me digress and say I've been critical of his initial and early non-responsiveness. I think we're behind the curve. But I think we can catch up if everyone does their part. It's not about the risk to you necessarily - although for some it most certainly is - this is about good citizenship and caring about the risk to others. Where you can, limit exposure and work from home. Yes, this is going to hurt the economy. But our healthcare resources are finite - they are - you have to come to terms with that. If thousands of people (or even few deepening upon the area) need ICU beds and ventilators at once, there will not be enough. Trust me - ventilators save lives and the lack of them costs lives. In my pro-life work, ventilators are often what hospitals will try to pull to hasten a patient's death under Texas law that allows involuntary passive euthanasia. I have a different perspective on this and I hope you will listen to reason. The attitude that America's better, we'll be fine is stupid and wrong. We are great, but we won't be fine if demand outpaces supply. This is about managing resources. Short term pain will be less than a longterm spate of serious illness in this country which will not help the economy either. Not to mention loss of life.)

Anyway, I was resolved to be calm and resigned to the fact that it was going to be a slog. I am a pretty observant person and human nature fascinates me. I loved sociology and minored in psychology in college. So, it was interesting to me that each store had a different vibe and I tried to take it all in. I'm certain there are lessons in every bit of this for us. It was extremely interesting to see what people chose and what they didn't. Target's vibe was serious, but calm. There were actually 4 cashiers there (rather than forcing us all into the self-checkout which is very hard when you have an overflowing cart, which I do every time I'm there because I don't go that often). They were professional and pleasant. Much was sold out, but they were restocking certain items. The staff was busy and doing their best. Here are some shots I took.

No toilet paper or sanitizers. I didn't need toilet paper. I would have liked some sanitizing wipes for being on the go. I have some in the car already. Perhaps next week.

Limited paper towels. I buy Viva anyway. But we had plenty already.

Because left to their own devices, people will not act in others' best interests. How much sanitizer can you possibly use individually? Our church needs some, it is having trouble finding any. Father appealed to those who may have hoarded it. Hoarding is a sin, but he would ask no questions or judge. Just come and bring a bottle or two.  

Anything that was an immunity supplement was gone.

No pain or fever reducing medications for children available.  

No peroxide. 

No masks or gloves, which was predictable. Even bandages were in short supply. I'm not sure why. I think panic causes strange impulse buying. 

No gloves.

No alcohol. 

Sadly, there was also no rice which I was in search of for a food drive our parish is having during Great Lent to benefit the McKinney Food Pantry. We are woefully behind our goal because of this crisis which I'm certain means their needs are even greater. There was also no vinegar on the shelf, but in a cart of what looked to be returns that the staff was replacing, I found a gallon. We use it in our laundry sometimes to get out smells and to clean the coffee pot. I found a random can of Lysol that had been placed on an endcap. One was all I needed. I loaded up my stuff in my SUV as the rain started coming down harder and headed to Stop 2, Whole Foods

I had hoped that maybe I could get everything I needed at WF and not have to go to Central Market, but it was not to be. It was to be the most interesting of my stops, however, in terms of feeling the panic of the day. The store was extremely crowded - more than I've ever seen even right before a major food holiday like Thanksgiving. Here, I saw people wearing masks and gloves. I had heard that shelf stable items were in short supply everywhere but that fresh foods were OK. Not here. It was like the place had been attacked by locusts. There was one onion left, one moldy russet potato, only a handful of overly squeezed avocados, NO citrus (except some weird limes that no one else wanted or knew what to do with), no bananas, limited apples. In the aisles, you found that most of the tomato and pasta sauces were gone, most of the pasta, no green beans, limited beans, limited soups and stocks. One lady pushed past me on the pasta aisle and with both hands scooped up some of the remaining pasta as if embracing it or clinging to it for dear life. It was an odd scene. But also very sad. I was able to buy maybe half the produce items on my list, but most of the others. Because it was so crowded, I was not able to snap many pics. I am respectful of the fact that not everyone wants to be even a fuzzy image in a stranger's documentation of the world, so I will refrain in such cases. Here's what I was able to get. 

There was no fresh chicken! I didn't need any, but was shocked at that. I was in search of corned beef. There were 4 left. I bought 3. Hoarding? No. My family loves corned beef and you can only get that here once a year. More on that in a moment. 

If I could not have fresh citrus, this is the next best thing. I loathe concentrated citrus. This is not and works pretty well.

If you know which Whole Foods I was at - the big one on Preston & Park - you know it's a large store. The lines for checking out went WAY back into the aisles. Again, I've never seen this even before Thanksgiving. 

I had been texting Toby these pics and comments the entire time. As I stood in line, the vibe in the store began to get to me. I texted Toby: "I have to tell you I find this unnerving." He responded, "Because it is." I said, "I've been wishing you were here with me. I'm fine myself. But people are scared. And it's palpable." 

Eventually I was able to check out and had a friendly chat with a very personable cashier who I recognized. (I'm a very long time WF shopper.) We talked about the situation. I commented that I knew that people were buying way more than normal because I buy "extensively," as one WF cashier once observed, when most do not. I cook a great deal, we work from home and homeschool, so 2-3 meals are taken from home each day (as opposed to one or more being at school or out), and we have food allergies. Plus, I like to cook. We eat out some, but not that much and not as much as I think the average person does. Most people, it seems, rely pretty heavily on fast food or take out for dinner. We cannot. So, when I see the carts of others, I know this is out of the ordinary. She said it was. She said she'd not had any order that was less than $200-300 and that was highly unusual. 

I made it back out to my SUV, loaded it up, and headed to Stop Number 3, Central Market. I was curious to see what it would be like there and very grateful to have a break from the tension you could cut with a knife at WF. I am very sensitive to such things, vibes, etc., which I feel very deeply in all kinds of circumstances. 

The parking lot at CM was crowded but not more than you'd expect on a typical Saturday. That it was Friday meant it was probably slightly more crowded than usual. As I walked in, I could not help but notice nature. I don't know why, but CM has a great number of birds there and I've frequently noticed them and the sunsets (and, more recently) while there. It's quite a treat!

This day was no different despite the overcast day, rain, and crisis in the world. It struck me that the birds were chirpy and going about their business no matter what. They were unbothered. It made me smile. 

A mourning dove. I love those and their soothing cooing.

I had been wanting to capture some of the tender spring green leaves on the trees right now but I've hardly had a chance to get out when it wasn't raining. 

The light and my position made it hard to capture, but this was a really neat bird's nest. It had a bunch of white cotton or something like that in it. It looked very comfortable and warm for a bird. 

These birds were very chirpy and active. I liked seeing them in the top of the tree just beginning to leaf out.


I grabbed a cart, a sanitizing wipe, and my list that was mostly complete. I was immediately struck by the vibe. It was normal. Many people were serious looking, but not panicked. Some were very friendly and wanting to talk. I had a lovely ongoing conversation as we moved from aisle to aisle and kept bumping into each other with a lady named, Lucy. She was calm, but taking the situation seriously. We expressed our plans for maintaining balance and calm and wished each other well. I found everything else that was left on my list and scored some great, mostly unopened, Campanulas, my favorite flower. If we're going to be sheltering in place, we need some beauty. The lines to check out were longer than I'd ever seen them before, but they moved fast enough. 

On my way out I saw this. I texted Toby that we'd be seeing more of that nowadays. The new normal. But, really, people? Don't be trashy. Be careful about that as well. 

My final destination: Stop Number 4, Total Wine. Toby and I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Scotch: A Golden Dream about Scotch made in Ireland. 


Toby was inspired and wanted to try something from the Island of Islay. I found him this. He likes it very much. 


Sheltering in Place...Or, Lockdown & Reaching Out to Nature

Toby's office sent them home last Thursday and said to work from home. Things have only become more urgent and the recommendations more restrictive nationally and locally. Toby's company issued new protocols for anyone returning to work after traveling abroad. Others are doing likewise. Stores are temporarily closing. Officials are taking this very seriously. So are we. I hope everyone is so we knock this out faster. 

Toby blogged about the current situation and his own thoughts recently on Tobyblog and entitled it "Appreciating the Little Things During the Coronavirus Lockdown." He also shared some truly excellent macro photos he took in our backyard. He really is a gifted photographer. One thing we can still do is appreciate things. Perhaps one very good thing about the current situation is that we are called to slow down some. If we're not supposed to go out and be in crowds, that should provide more quiet time. I think we don't have enough of it but maybe need it in modern life more than ever. 

So, we're both working from home right now. Normally, "working from home" for Toby means that he hits a local mall or coffee shop or library. It is more difficult for him to literally work from home than for me. He's used to getting up, getting dressed, and heading out. He likes the environment out as well. And, it's been raining a great deal which he has a much lower tolerance for than me, as he recently posted. Spring is here and we are not able to get out much to enjoy it. The time is fleeting. But he's doing great and keeping a stiff upper lip. Being out of one's routine is very unsettling. The nature of the situation is unsettling and we are very aware of the potential for adverse financial effects on us as well as concerned for our health and that of our children.  I'm doing what I can to make this as comfortable for him and everyone as possible. He is, too. There will be extra game and movie nights and projects. Everyone is holding up very well. 

On Day 4 of the lockdown, we were gifted with a break in the rain and were able to take an evening walk before dinner and get a bit of sun in. Natural Vitamin D, you can't beat it. It was welcome respite and we noticed other neighbors taking advantage of this time in nature as well. Here are some pics I got along with two videos.

Bradford pears are really pretty trees. Yes, they are hated. But I do like them

We appreciate dandelions. 

Sun! 🌞

Anthony calls them "wishing flowers." 



My beloved taking pics and me taking pics of him taking pics.

A redbud tree blooming.

The trees along the backside of our neighborhood. Spring green everywhere! 

Beloved.

Clover on the eve of St. Patrick's Day!

Quite a lot of it! 

🌷 Tulips! One of these years, I will remember to plant tulip bulbs in the fall so I'll have these in my front yard. 🌹

Can you see the tiny green caterpillar hanging from a thread? Look at the fence and you'll see it there.  More spring green! 

So many birds in that tree, but I'm not sure if you can see them. 

Close up. I love birds. I was not able to identify them. 

Our very large Red Oak tree leafing out in our backyard.

See that bird at the top of the tree? He was so chirpy and happy; just singing his little heart out. I took two videos of it.




How great was that?!

I was talking to a friend earlier today and he mentioned that since his gym was closed, he met his personal trainer in the park and exercised outdoors. He said, "I don't know when I last exercised outside." He said it was great to work up a sweat like that. Yes! Nature! Thinking outside the box. We will have to modify how we do things. We need to rethink some things; a lot of things. That is what could be the good coming out of this. Slowing down, making modifications, rethinking how we do things individually and as a nation, maybe even changing the nature of our economy. That can all be very healthy. In some ways, it is necessary. Will we do what we need to? Will we see the bigger lessons and implications here? Only time will tell. 

Lest I be misunderstood about finding the good in this, don't get me wrong. This is going to take quite a toll on individual economies, state and nationals economies, and the world whether the virus infects a few or millions. People's daily routines are upended, children are suddenly not in school, parents are scrambling to find child care so they can work (for those who cannot from home, and many provide essential services that we need), suddenly people are thrust into homeschooling which is not what they are set up to do here in the last quarter of the year, proms will be called off, graduations affected, etc. This is not how anyone expected their spring to be. And, we haven't even mentioned the health consequences yet. People will suffer in some way whether they get the virus or not. There are no easy solutions here. I think the current course is the correct one, but it's going to hurt all of us to some degree or another. And, it's not sustainable for long. We must pray like never before for ourselves and others. We must do more to get right spiritually. We must avoid anxiety, despair, and despondency. More on that in my next post. But I don't want to only focus on the negative. What can we make good out of the current situation? There will be many things, so let's not forget to focus on the positives that can come out of this time and give thanks for the mercies we encounter and act with charity and concern for others. My hope and prayer is that if everyone does their part, we can make this painful time less painful and the crisis pass more quickly.

Maintaining a Sense of Normalcy Through Traditions

Today is St. Patrick's Day! ☘️ My maiden name is actually Patrick. And, although I was not raised either Catholic or Orthodox, St. Patrick has been a patron of mine for a long time. We always had corned beef and cabbage on this day at home. Today will be no different. Yes, we are in Great Lent. But our Orthodox faith teaches us that love trumps all - love is all. If you were invited to someone's home for dinner during Great Lent who was not Orthodox and they served you meat, you eat the meat. You don't offend and you don't make a thing out of your fasting. You are humble and love. I largely decide what our menus are here. My children love our traditions and my older two are not Orthodox. Out of love for them, we will maintain our traditions today and break the fast. It will not be a sacrifice to me, I'll be honest. We have maintained the fast more so this year than last, but it is difficult. I won't lie. But we are to be humble in our fasting and not show discomfort or complaint, lest pride enter in. We are not to judge others or notice what they do and do not do. Everyone is on their own path. That is not for you to judge the state of their soul or to pat yourself on the back and so forth. This is something I love very much about Orthodoxy, but struggle with because I am very judgmental by nature and habit. It is good and necessary for me to be stretched this way. 

I also think that with the constant influx of scary news and uncertainty, we need to especially focus on these things that bring us comfort and joy - in between sacrificing, fasting, and increased spirituality which should also bring us joy - to deal as healthily as we can with the current situation. We need balance and moderation in all things. So, that is what we are attempting here. 

As Toby mentioned, our children have taken this very well. They do not appear frightened, but they are watching things play out. We are both grateful. May that remain as things continue to develop. We think things will get worse in all ways before they get better. We hope and pray for the best, but do what we can to prepare for the worst. 

I'm trying to get two more posts out today - our St. Patrick's Day celebration (I'd better get that corned beef started!) and some resources for prayers and coping spiritually with the crisis. Let's all do our part! 

Thanks for reading! 







Comments

Popular Posts