Evening Run before a Storm on the "Trails Near Our House" AKA "Trails by the Apartments" on May 15, 2015

This year Toby discovered some newly minted trails near our house - they are within walking distance from our home (a good 20 minutes, but still, that's pretty close). He mentioned them in his own blog, here, and again in his retrospective of 2020. In fact, it occurred to me just yesterday when he and I were walking home from a run there that I've always wanted to live where we were walking distance to a park with trails and now we are. Now, it's not literally out our front door and I still don't have the wooded view I've always wanted, but I'm going to be grateful for what we have...and we have A LOT especially by 2020 standards. 

Anyway, on this day, we drove to the trailhead which is near a gun range - the sounds from which remind me of my childhood and evenings spent at the Rod and Gun Club in South Texas that my father was president and member of for so many years. I was the "pull girl." I pressed the button to make the clay birds appear for the trap shooters and kept their scores. Then I'd help my Daddy reload the machine with the birds. I was great fun for me. I learned to shoot and a lot about gun safety. I am very much a Texan in that regard. #2A. 

But I digress - again - here are the pics from that evening that I caught after our run. I LOVE being out when a storm or front is coming in. There is so much to see and feel. And, as you know, I LOVE clouds. (See, here and here.) What a treat to see it all that evening! We timed everything, especially our departure, just right, too, for we arrived home just as the bottom fell out and the rain poured. 

Lovely sentiment in graffiti on the trail. We both had to stop our run to get pics. Toby's version made one of his Best of 2020 Pics. I think many of us - perhaps most - tried to do the best we could. I guess I should not speak in the past tense as it's not over yet, is it? 

Indeed! We all are!

Look at that color! So foreboding. But so beautiful.

This was among the better Firewheel patches this spring. Here are some remnants that day. 



It was evening so where the clouds were lighter, we could see some evening sunlight.

The Apartments that give this trail its name (to us, at least). 








I love the various colors here from the blues and grays to the greens. 



Look at this one! The blue sky, gray clouds, white puffy ones and how dark the woods look. 











It's good we caught this field when we did for the next week this lovely patch of black-eyed Susans would be unceremoniously (and inexplicably) mowed down. 



Always stop and look behind you periodically. It's a different perspective (and is a metaphor for life). 


Headed home - just in the nick of time. 



We'd better get a move on! 

Thanks for reading! 


Comments

Popular Posts